Thursday we went to the Race Expo to pick up our race packets and get our "goody bags." If you have ever attended a big race expo you can atest to there being a great energy there that usually gets the participants pumped up for the race. As down as I was on doing this race, I kept thinking the Expo would turn me around. Well, so much for hoping. I was no more pumped coming out than I was going in. I tried one last ditch effort to talk Todd out of the race....still couldn't do it. So all I could do now was plan for the worst and hope for the best.
My plan for the worst was to layer as much as I could and hope the weather people would be wrong. There was no chance it would miraculously be 70 degrees but I thought maybe God could throw a 45-50 degree morning at us and maybe hold off on the wet stuff (rain, snow, sleet, whatever it might be.) I knew even at 50 degrees I would need two layers (not counting the sports bra). I decided I would put on 4 layers, two of which would be "throw away" layers that I could strip off and throw along the route. These articles would then be picked up by the race workers and donated to charity. So here's how it went down.
On the top: Sports bra, Under Armour ColdGear mock turtleneck, Long-sleeved Tech-Tee from a past race (throw away layer), Fitted long-long sleeve running jacket, Lined windbreaker that I've had forever (throw away layer), Knit gloves
On the bottom: Under Armour Frosty pants (yes...there really is such a thing), Nylon long running pants, Socks...just one pair, Running shoes....this was this pair's retirement race.
On my head: Under Armour Cold Gear Hood...covers head and nose to neck, knit beanie
So....you got a mental picture now? Now here is the actual picture.
Seems ridiculous, doesn't it? Maybe a bit of overkill, right? Well, read on to see how many layers were left at the end of the race.
We woke up at 3:15 a.m. (yes....I said a.m.). Our babysitter arrived at 4:10 a.m. (I know....I have the most amazing babysitter ever!) and we left the house shortly thereafter. We arrived at the drop off area at 4:40 (road closures began at 4:45 so we HAD to be there early). According to the car thermometer it was 33 degrees outside. I refused to get out of the car until 5 a.m. There was no reason to stand out in the cold for longer than necessary, right? Plus.....I thought I could use this time to try, one final time, to talk Todd out of this riduculous adventure. No luck. At 5 am we left the warmth of the car (heater, seat warmers, etc) to head over to the starting line. The music was blaring and the energy was lively but it was still bitterly cold (oh....did I mention the humidity was 75%? Mix that with freezing temps and the cold is biting). We were in Corral F (which is wave 3) and it was a 20 minute walk from our car to the corral. This is where the race started to get fun and my attitude started to change. The people-watching was incredible. We saw some of the funniest getups here. Now, I am use to people running in costume at the Disney races but these were not costumes. These were desperate attempts to ward off the cold until the running started and the body heat could take over. We saw garbage bags, jackets and sports coats from 1970's (clearly purchased at Good Will or possible taken out of Grandpa's closet) but my all time favorite was the group of men with pink, yellow and turquoise fluffy terry cloth robes! When I did a double take, one of the guys said to me, "Hey they were only $3 on sale but we had no choice on the color! I'll ditch it as soon as we start running!"
We arrived at our corral a few minutes after the first gun went off and waited about 25 minutes until it was time for our group to leave. By now my butt was frozen but my core was doing ok. I was ever-so-thankful for the ColdGear hood that kept my ears and nose warm because, for me, when those get cold I am beyond miserable. Anyway, time for our gun and we were off. I was thankful to finally be moving and generating some body heat. About 1/2 mile into it, the "clothes debris" started. The sides of the race course were covered in light jackets, sweatshirts, garbage bags, rain ponchos and yes....even those fuzzy bathrobes. But there was no shedding clothes for us. We were feeling comfortable and my finger were starting to defrost. The only adjustment I made was to pull the mask on my hood down.
About Mile 3 the "mist" that had been falling since right before the gun turned to rain....but not just ordinary Florida rain but frozen rain. I really hadn't noticed the mist/rain prior to this. My 5 layers of clothes were a pretty good shield but the pelting frozen rain I felt. It stung as it hit my face. About this time I remember what my little sister, Gayle, told me the night before. She said when it gets icky come up with a mantra and just repeat it over and over again in your head. So I think, "I need a mantra" and what is the first thing that pops into my head? "Keep on trunkin', mighty rabbit, mighty rabbit, keep on trunkin' all the way, all the way." (This will sound very familiar to all of us that graduated from Delta High School.) This kept me going for awhile.
Mile 6 through 9 are the "fun miles" on this race. We were finally in the Magic Kingdom and running through the attractions. This is alway great because you are distracted by all the characters and spectators. It's the only time that I can be in huge crowds in the parks and not get frustrated. The crowd is all moving in the same direction and there are no strollers to dodge. It's also the best place for bathroom break. Here you aren't subjected to the "Port-o-potties" but can actually use a flushing toilet in the park bathrooms. But user beware! Runners have little respect for gender on race day and even littler patience when their "finish time" is on the line. Todd was a bit startled when he went into the Mens bathroom and there was a men's line for the urinals and a women's line for the stalls. Like I said, it's all about getting your business done on race day.
By Mile 9 we were out of the parks and back on the roadways. I've learned from past 1/2 marathons that Mile 9 is the hardest mile mentally for me. I am tired and over the "excitement" and ready to be done. My earlier mantra was just not doing it for me anymore. I was cold, my butt was numb and it was still raining. For some reason I started thinking about the Mormon Pioneers crossing the Plains in the bitter cold. For the first time I really was in awe of what they did. They got up every morning and endured the cold and exhaustion not just for 13.1 miles and a few hours but all day long, day after day. They did not have the benefit of Under Armour ColdGear. They did not have spectators along the trail calling thier names and shouting, "You can do it!", "You're awesome!" "You're almost there!" And they certainly didn't get a medal at the end. I actually started to tear up as I thought of them. I thought, "My ancestors were so incredibly strong. I can do this. Afterall, I do have thier blood pumping through my veins."
I love Mile 10. In every 1/2 marathon I've done (5 to date), Mile 10 is almost like a new start for me. I get a burst of energy (ok....it's probably just the enery "goo" they gave us just outside of Mile 9 but anyway). At Mile 10 I mentally think, "Now it's just a 5k and anyone can finish a 5k." This race was no different. Mile 10 was great and so was Mile 11. (By the way, still hadn't discarded any clothes.)
Now Mile 12 had some challenges. My feet had finally had it. Toes frozen and knee (IT band) in serious pain. My challenge was when I ran my knee hurt but my feet didn't. But when I walked my feet hurt but my knee didn't. Urrgghhh. So I would run until I couldn't take the knee pain anymore then walk until I couldn't take the feet pain anymore. My mantra for this last mile was, "I've had a 10 pound baby for pete sake....I can do this until the end." Hey, whatever works, right?
Soon the finish line was in sight. The music was playing and I was ready to be done. Todd and I crossed it together. The first time we ever have stayed together on a race. I have to admit, when I was done I was so glad I did it. Our family motto in 2009 was, "We can do hard things." And this was the perfect example of doing something harder than usual and finishing. It was worth it.
Before I end completely I wanted to note some of my favorite race shirt sayings I saw on the course. (You know, you always read the back of the shirt of the runner in front of you.) Here are my top 3.
- "Does this shirt make my butt look fast"
- "Running my mass off."
- And my personal favorite, "Half-Marathoner.....this girl doesn't go all the way!"
All in all, I'm glad I did it, I'm glad I did it on my birthday and I'm glad it's over!
PS - I ended the race with every single layer I started with and was grateful for each and every one of them.
2 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY and way to go for completing the race...you are such an inspiration. Love ya!
I am very, very impressed! What a great memory for your 37th birthday.
Post a Comment