y have met the height requirement for....even if they don't like them. I only make them go once a year. If they still don't like it, they don't have to go again that year. But as soon as the calendar turns, it's time to try again.Today was our first visit to a Disney theme park in 2010. We haven't been to Disney's Animal Kingdom in quite a while. So, even though it was a holiday weekend (we try to avoid the parks on long weekends) we decided to get out of the house and go see some animals. As we approached the park we could see the peaks of the "Expedition Everest" rollercoaster peeking out from the tree tops. Maiya questioned, "Mom, do I have to go on that ride today?" I was not sure if she met the height requirement yet so I responded that we would check her height and if she was tall enough then we would go. This was not met with squeals of delight. It was more like moans of agony. Never fear.... I am not that easily dissuaded.
We entered the park and headed straight to the attraction. As we walked up to the measuring pole Maiya softly whispered, "please say no, please say no." But it was all for naught...she was tall enough!!!!! Instant panic and desperate pleading ensued. The stand-by time was 40 minutes and I knew better than to make her wait and dread for that long. So we grabbed a FastPass and headed to the Safari ride. This gave me some time to prep her for the upcoming "event". I told her exactly what to expect on the ride so there would be no suprises and promised I would not put her in a situation that would hurt (or kill) her. After the Safari, lunch and a ride on TriceraTop Spin, we headed to Everest. Maiya was nervous but brave. She held my hand tightly but didn't whine or cry or beg to get out of it (she's learned those tactics are useless and just a waste of energy). She boarded the ride confidently, pull the lap bar tight (so tight I wondered if she could breath) and we were off. She did great....really great. I kept checking to see if she was ok and saw nothing but a big smile...even as we did the big drop. When it was over, I asked if she was ok. She said yes but next time (gotta love those two words) she was not going to hold on so tightly because it hurt her hands. Success!!!
After we got off the ride, Maiya proceeded to tell her little sister, Hailey, all about it. How fast it went and how you go backwards etc. Then, at the very end, she said, "When you are tall enough you will get to go. It's ok if you are scared and don't want to go....Mom will make you go anyway!"

Maiya with the Yeti after the ride.
5 comments:
I can't believe it!!! Maiya is tall enough to go on Everest?! When I saw the title of this post my jaw dropped. I was scared when I went the first time Maiay. I too tightened the bar as far as I ossibly could. I'm glad you liked it because it is one of my favorite rides. Next time we are down there and in Animal Kingdom we will have to go together. I'm so proud of you and how brave you were. i1'lf983ehun (that is an I love you message from Brookie) Love you guys!
That is very funny, and a great way to teach kids to overcome their fears! I have one boy who hates all fast/high/exciting rides and another one who wants to ride them all.
Oh My Heck, Maiya! I have never been on Everest! I am so proud of you! Someday when I come out there you will have to take me on Everest.
Love you lots.
Aunt Kaye
HAHA, love it! I cannot believe she is big enough to do that ride. Holy Cow, time flies. Kudos on your race, I hate the cold. Hope you guys are well.
I'm late to this comment on Expedition Everest. I understand it is a ride but other than that I have no idea.
My main purpose is to just say Hi and let you know that I am able to view your blog and its contents. I'm signed in as Mert Ashby but youknow me as Dad
As always we send our love.
Post a Comment