Thursday, November 13, 2008

Quirky Tag

I was tagged by my friend Stacey to share 6 quirky things I do. To me they aren't quirks...they are ways I stay sane but others might find them quirky.

Quirk #1: I clean my house in "Zones" or at least I did when I was the "house cleaner" (now Todd cleans in Zone but I taught him this.) I do this so I don't have to spend more than 90 minutes a day cleaning my house and I don't have to clean on the weekends. I divided my house into 5 zones that could be cleaned in 90 minutes. Then I clean them once a week. Each zone gets a "deep clean" once a month. The deep clean takes no more than 3 hours. Of course there is the daily "tidy" stuff that gets done every day.

Quirk #2: Each year on January 1st I hang all my clothes on hangers backwards (meaning instead of the hook facing away from me it faces me.) Then throughout the year as I wear stuff and do laundry (ok Todd does the laundry) I put them back in my closet in a normal fashion. At the end of the year (December 31) ANYTHING that is still hanging "backwards" goes to good will -- absolutely no questions asked. I figure if I have gone through a whole year without wearing it then it is not worthy of closet space.

Quirk #3: (OK promise you all will still be my friends after you read this one). I wear mismatched socks around the house ......... because I feel bad for them. I know, it's crazy! I get this from my mother. She always thought inanimate objects had feeling and I guess it rubbed off on me. I feel bad for the socks that don't have a mate for whatever reason (personally I think lost socks and lost luggage make up the rings of Saturn... hee hee). The child inside me just imagines them lying in the sock drawer all alone wondering where thier mate is and feeling bad because they can't fulfill thier life's purpose... and for that reason, I wear mismatched sock around the house.

Quirk #4: When I eat M&M at work I pour the whole package out on my desk and then seperate them into colors. Then if there are groups that have more than others, I eat those M&Ms first to even out the groups. Then I eat one from each group to keep them even until they are gone.

Quirk #5: I can't just "go to bed." I have to do something to make myself fall asleep. It use to be watch TV but when we moved to Florida we removed the TV from the bedroom so now I either fall asleep on the couch watching TV (Todd wakes me up and I then move to the bed) or, most often, I read for a little while and then fall asleep. If I just try to lay down, close my eyes and fall asleep it never works. My mind starts racing thinking about all the things I need to do or solving some work problem. I have to be distracted to fall asleep.

Quirk #6: I obsessively budget. Not just annually but for everything. If we are planning a trip I plan out the expenses and write up a budget. Then while we are on vacation each night I look at what we spent that day and compare it to the budget. You would think this would stress me out while on vacation but actually it is just the opposite. If I am accutely aware of how much we plan to spend and how much we've actually spent (even if we go over a little) and am more calm than if I didn't know. Luckily I married a man that can live with this trait.

So there you have it. All the weird things you didn't want to know about me. Now I get to tag my friends.


Tag Rules:
Link the person who tagged you.
Mention the rules on your blog.
Tell about six quirks of yours.
Tag six fellow bloggers to do the same.
Leave a comment to let them know.


I tag Jen, Jamie, Kami, Ruth Ann, Brent and Gayle

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Not fair, I didn't know I was tagged, I was out of town, and I loved reading about yours....I was laughing a lot about the sock thing! And, just so you know I passed on the amusement of Maiya and the naughty list to my entire family, that was hilarious. I was bummed we missed you at Turkey day, we went to El Paso due to Elans grandmothers health.