Kendra - My earliest childhood memory comes from the Summer of 1975 when I was
about 2 1/2 years old. My Grandma and Grandpa George only had one daughter - my mother - who happened to be thier oldest child and only child that did not live close to them. Grandma and Grandpa George lived in Phoenix, Arizona and we lived in Delta, Utah -- 12 hours away by car. The summer of 1975 my grandparents decided to escape the heat and come "live by us" in Utah for 3 or 4 months. They brought a trailer with them for accommodations and parked it just to the side of the farm house (this was before we built the big house on the hill). I remember every morning going out and knocking on the trailer door to have breakfast with them. We would always have poached eggs and toast. I can still close my eyes and see the mustard yellow egg poacher my grandmother used to prepare the eggs. I also remember Grandpa George greeting me as I came in the trailer by saying, "Good Morning, Tulip." Being so very young, I didn't grasp the concept of nicknames so I would reply, "Grandpa, my name isn't Tulip. It's Kendra." He would pull me up on his lap, give me a hug and say, "You'll always be Tulip to me." I especially love this memory because I wasn't blessed with alot of years with my Grandpa George. He died on January 1st, 1976, just 8 days shy of my 3rd birthday. I sometimes wonder if we hadn't had those mornings together if I would have any memory of him at all. I am grateful for the time he took to create memories and give love to his little "Tulip."
No comments:
Post a Comment